Weeks after a 70-year-old woman lost consciousness on a Universal Orlando roller coaster, officials finally confirmed the cause of her death. What began as a family outing on Nov 25 turned tragic when Ma de la Luz Mejia Rosas became unresponsive during the Revenge of the Mummy ride. The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services reported the incident shortly after it happened.
Family Identifies Victim as Investigation Begins
Her identity was released on Thursday through civil rights attorney Ben Crump, who is now representing her family. In a statement, he described the emotional pain they are facing.
“Mrs. Rosas went to the park to enjoy time with her children and grandchildren, expecting a safe and joyful experience. Instead, her family is now left grieving and searching for answers,” Crump said.
“They deserve a full understanding of what happened before, during, and after this ride.”
He added that he will “thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding this tragedy and ensure her family’s voice is heard.”
Medical Examiner Confirms Ruptured Aneurysm

After Rosas became unconscious, first responders rushed her to a nearby hospital. She died on Dec 9 at Orlando Regional Medical Center. A medical examiner’s report obtained by the Orlando Sentinel confirmed that she suffered a ruptured aneurysm without trauma.
Universal Orlando declined to comment, citing pending claims. Revenge of the Mummy, inspired by The Mummy and The Mummy Returns films, reaches speeds of up to 45 mph.
Ride’s Safety History Under Renewed Scrutiny
Revenge of the Mummy has a long record of reported incidents. Since its 2004 opening, 21 cases ranging from dizziness and nausea to a seizure and a vertebra fracture have been documented, according to FDACS data.
The agency’s quarterly report lists major Florida parks that self-report safety incidents due to having full-time inspectors. Between October and December 2025, six incidents were reported at Walt Disney World, while no incidents were noted at SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, or Legoland.
The ride has been closed since January and is expected to reopen later in the summer.
Another Fatal Coaster Incident Months Earlier

Rosas’ death follows another deadly roller coaster incident at a Universal Orlando property. On Sept 17, 32-year-old Kevin Rodriguez Zavala became unresponsive on the Stardust Racers ride at Epic Universe and later died from multiple blunt force injuries.
Attorneys for Zavala’s family argued that Universal ignored “multiple” warning signs before his death. They said the tragedy was not “isolated” and claimed other riders had reported similar injuries on the same attraction.
Crump, who also represented Zavala’s family, confirmed last month that an agreement had been reached with Universal. The settlement terms remain confidential.



