Musk Blasts French Police Raid as “Political Attack” Amid Expanding Criminal Probe

Date:


Tensions escalated sharply in Paris this week after French police descended on the offices of X as part of a sweeping criminal investigation into the platform’s algorithms and its artificial intelligence chatbot, Grok.

What began as a complaint over alleged algorithm bias has now widened into a multinational legal standoff, pulling in tech executives, European regulators, and even Europol.

At the center of it all is Elon Musk, who did not mince words. In response to the raid, he declared: “This is a political attack.”

Paris Cybercrime Unit Conducts Search

Elon Musk political attack

French authorities confirmed that the search was carried out Tuesday by the Paris public prosecutor’s cybercrime unit. According to Reuters, the probe focuses on the company’s use of algorithms and the integration of Grok, the AI chatbot developed by Musk’s xAI and embedded into the X platform.

The Paris prosecutor’s office has summoned Musk and former X CEO Linda Yaccarino to testify on April 20. Investigators are examining allegations of suspected algorithm abuse and fraudulent data extraction involving X or its executives.

The investigation reportedly began in 2025 after a French lawmaker filed a complaint alleging that biased algorithms on the platform were likely to have distorted the operation of an automated data processing system.

Meanwhile, scrutiny over Grok has intensified.

AI Chatbot Grok Under Fire

The case has expanded beyond core platform algorithms to include Grok, Reuters reported. Regulators are now looking closely at how the chatbot processes data and whether it has contributed to broader online harms.

Britain’s privacy watchdog, the Information Commissioner’s Office, said Tuesday that it had launched a formal investigation into Grok. The agency cited concerns over the processing of personal data and reports that the chatbot had been used to generate nonconsensual sexual imagery, including of children.

That development has added a new layer of urgency to the probe, shifting the spotlight from algorithm transparency to child safety and data protection.

Still, Musk and X are pushing back hard.

X Accuses French Prosecutors of Overreach

Elon Musk political attack

In a sharply worded statement posted on the platform, X criticized the actions of French authorities, accusing prosecutors of bypassing established international legal mechanisms.

The company said the Paris Public Prosecutor’s Office was “plainly attempting to exert pressure on X’s senior management in the United States by targeting our French entity and employees, who are not the focus of this investigation.”

FranceFrance

The dispute underscores a growing friction between global tech companies and European regulators, particularly when investigations cross borders and legal systems.

Europol Steps In

In a separate statement, Europol confirmed it is supporting the French investigation in coordination with the French Gendarmerie’s cybercrime unit.

“The investigation concerns a range of suspected criminal offences linked to the functioning and use of the platform, including the dissemination of illegal content and other forms of online criminal activity. Europol stands ready to continue supporting the French authorities as the investigation progresses,” it said.

That involvement signals the case may carry implications beyond France, especially if allegations of illegal content dissemination or systemic misconduct gain traction.

Prosecutors Cut Ties With X

Elon Musk political attack

Adding another twist, Reuters reported that the Paris prosecutor’s office would stop communicating on X. While officials did not elaborate publicly on the reasoning, the move underscores the deepening rift between the platform and French authorities.

For Musk, who has repeatedly framed regulatory scrutiny as politically motivated, the raid represents more than a legal headache. It is a flashpoint in an ongoing battle over free expression, platform governance, and state oversight of digital giants.

However, prosecutors appear determined to press forward.

With Musk and Yaccarino scheduled to testify in April, and investigations now stretching across national borders, the case could shape the future of algorithm regulation and AI oversight in Europe.

For now, the legal and political clash shows no signs of cooling.


Juan Santos
Juan Santos
Juan Santos is a seasoned political analyst and columnist with a sharp eye on global power dynamics. A geopolitics hawk with decades of experience, he dissects international affairs, foreign policy, and political strategy with precision and depth. Known for connecting the dots others miss, Juan brings historical context and forward-thinking analysis to the complex forces shaping today’s world stage—making sense of the chaos and exposing the stakes behind every move.

COMMENTS

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

UN pushes toward worldwide AI oversight with new international expert panel

The race to control artificial intelligence just entered a...

To the Teens Being Raised by Single Moms, I See You

You didn’t choose this arrangement. Yet every day you manage...

Former Iranian Prisoners Describe Widespread Torture as Security Forces Intensify Crackdown

As nationwide protests continue across Iran, new testimony from...

Secret Biolab Linked to Chinese National Found in Vegas Airbnb Rental After Tenants Fall Gravely Ill

Federal authorities have uncovered what they describe as a...