A growing dispute over Nancy Guthrie’s final known movements has added a new layer of uncertainty to an already tense investigation. A source close to the Guthrie family says early accounts about why she was reported missing on Sunday, Feb. 1, do not align with reality, creating what they describe as a “misunderstanding” that has clouded the timeline.
Conflicting Reports About Sunday Routine
Initial reports suggested that Guthrie had been expected at an in-person church service in Tucson that morning and was reported missing when she failed to arrive. The family source insists this account is incorrect.
The source explained that for years, stretching back to the COVID pandemic, Nancy and a small circle of close friends followed a weekly Sunday tradition that did not include attending a local church in person. Instead, they gathered at one another’s homes to watch a livestream of a New York church service.
The streamed service comes from the congregation attended by Savannah Guthrie, the longtime co-anchor and Nancy’s daughter.
Friends Raised Alarm When Nancy Never Arrived

According to the source, Nancy was expected at a friend’s home on Sunday morning, just as she had been every week. When she did not show up, friends grew uneasy. One of them contacted her daughter Annie, who is also Savannah Guthrie’s sister, to warn that they could not reach Nancy and that something seemed wrong.
The source underscored that Nancy had never planned to attend a Tucson church service that day, saying the incorrect reporting had distorted public understanding of how and when her disappearance was first noticed.
Search Intensifies as Family Makes Public Plea
As anxiety grew, Savannah Guthrie issued a heartfelt public plea for help. She called the ordeal an “hour of desperation” while authorities examined an alleged ransom note linked to her mother’s disappearance. The note’s authenticity has not been confirmed, and investigators have remained tight lipped about its contents.
The deadline listed in the note passed Monday evening without any proof of life or resolution.
Investigators Pursue New Leads, but No Suspects Identified

Law enforcement presence around Nancy’s Tucson home has remained strong. Officials said they are working on “new leads” but stressed that no suspects, persons of interest, or related vehicles have been identified.
A spokesperson confirmed Monday evening, “The investigation into Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance remains active and ongoing.”
They added, “We understand the significant public interest in this case; however, investigators need time and space to do their work. If and when relevant information becomes available, it will be shared.”
Authorities said no press briefings are scheduled currently, although a conference will be held if substantial developments arise.
Heavy Police Presence and Thousands of Tips
Investigators plan to maintain an active presence at Guthrie family residences through Tuesday, broadening search operations and continuing to process fresh leads. Officials declined to disclose further details, stating, “To preserve the integrity of this criminal investigation, details of that process are not being released at this time.”
They highlighted the overwhelming public response, noting, “Thousands of calls have been received across multiple tip lines, and investigators continue to review them.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact 1-800-CALL-FBI, the Pima County Sheriff’s Department non-emergency number at 520-351-4900, or 88-CRIME.



